1.25.2007

What am I?

A question is put forward from time to time that elicits many different reactions from different people. That question is "what is a nerd" or "what is a geek?" When this question is asked to me I generally tend to wax on about the different types of nerds, and the qualities that make up nerding, and then the differences (both quantifiable and intangible) between nerds and geeks and how to tell them apart.
This topic came up recently in a conversation and my mind, unhappy with all of my explanations and pontifications up to this point, has been working the answer over and over on autopilot ("if it weren't for that horse") until today when the answer dropped into my lap unexpectedly. I say unexpectedly because I had no idea my mind was working on this particular problem (which you already know if you got my Lewis Black reference).
SO.. here is what I came up with.

Nerd: an individual that eschews public opinion and social stature in the pursuit of a particular subject.
When used without a qualifier denoting the subject, the subject is assumed to be technology and academic pursuits.
That guy is such a car nerd. or That girl is a nerd, meaning she has such a strong interest in computers and her schoolwork she is willing do ignore popular opinion in the pursuit of the subjects.

Geek: an individual who pursues a subject while staying within the bounds of social acceptance and remains socially coherent.

The geek definition is a fairly new take on the word and is used in this context more commonly by younger generations. This is most likely due the the rise of "Geek Chic" during the technological boom of the late 90's and early 00's. This new use of the term is usually used to denote someone who has near nerd status but has minimized the impact on social interactions.

I consider myself a geek with strong nerd tendencies.

1 comment:

A.L.O said...

Geek or nerd, either way you deserve a swirly!