2.15.2007

good lord make it stop

So I'm balls deep into this semester. Boy, it is turning out to be a doozy. Weekends turn into 7 hour long homework marathons, weekdays are full of cramped note taking hands and mild to strong states of panic. February is "test month." This is much much better than "test week." I had 1 test last week (4% better than the mean.. I got a 70), a test this week, 2 tests next week, and a test on the 28th. I am scared of 2 of them. Matrix Algebra I understand but it takes me 3 hours to do one problem (I didn't say I understand it well) and Electro magnetics.. well.. if I could understand my instructor or the book I would be doing much better. Unfortunately the instructor copies the book into a power point presentation the reads it out loud as his "lecture." He skips the same spots the book skips (equation wise) and takes a few more shortcuts, making the "solutions" to example problems about as useful as WIFI to the Amish. To make matters worse he speaks in a rapid fire heavily accented korean english. His dialect consists of only 3 consents and 2 vowels which make differentiating between E, V, D just as impossible as L, R, and T. This makes understanding things like dE/dV (sounds like DD over DD) just as impossible as differentiating scalar and scatter (both pronounced scadrr).
Lets face it.. this shit is hard to begin with and an instructor who has only marginally more control over the english language than whoever wrote the book doesn't help much. (The author has apparently never heard about dangling participles.) Before you make a comment on the lack of grammar in my posts and the irony therein let me point out the fact that my blog is intended as a quasi-semi-personal journal, not a publish work used as instructional aides for advanced mathematical and physics concepts.

Well, I guess I should get back to my homework. I have to calculate that maximum charge the earth could hold before air starts to break down, losing its electrons, and turning into a conductor (basically until lightning starts randomly shooting out peoples asses.) BTW.. I found this to be approx 1.35 x 10^10 C and the capacitance of the earth is approx. 708 uF... not that you cared.

No comments: