2.21.2010

Turning it around

So.. its been a week.. my house is still a mess. I am still missing a large portion of my ceiling, but work has been halted while we wait for the inspector to sign off on the new electrical stuff. My attic has had all the insulation sucked out, so it get to about 80 in the house during the day and the heater runs for a good portion of the night.
The inspector should come on Monday and as soon as he is done they can start putting up new drywall. Hopefully I will be done with the repairs this week, or early next week at the latest. My wife and I are getting pretty eager for a return to normalcy.

Tom and I spent the better part of yesterday running cat6 to a few of my rooms, a job only made possible by the missing insulation. BTW, when I say "attic" I mean a crawl space above the house. It is only about 4-5 feet from beam to peak up there (I am 6'4"). It wasn't a very pleasant day. We got 4 runs done to 3 rooms and had our ass handed to us by a cross brace sitting in the middle of the wall in the master bedroom. Thanks to the slope of the roof there isn't enough room to use an extended drill bit and we decided it wasn't worth it to cut out a section of the drywall so we could notch or drill through the cross brace 2x4. Looks like the media center extender is staying on the wireless network. In the end I think I can accept a gigabit ethernet drop in the spare bedroom, the office, and 2 in the living room. I debated on putting one in the kitchen but decided the day had gone on long enough and even though the microwave plays hell with the wifi I just don't need it enough to make it worthwhile.

We are trying to make the best of the situation and taking this opportunity to get some other long delayed upgrades done. I got a motion light put in on the side of my house, since I had so much access to the "attic", and am moving/upgrading the lighting in my garage.
It feels nice to get some of these things finally done and done right.

No comments: