10.28.2006

Too much free time is dangerous

This was going to be part of my last blog but I thought it warrented it's own space. Think of it as an addendum, or better yet, a spin-off of the last blog. Kind of like our favorite spin-off: Stargate Atlantis. Without further pontification, sublimation, or ado.... I bring you a repost the story I forgot to blog about.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_
This is why too much free time is dangerous. This weekend was like the perfect storm. My wife went out of town (no supervision), my computer died (no games or other entertainment), I finished the book I was reading and really had no homework to speak of. Being depressed by the computer crash and lonely since my wife and all but 1 of my friends is out of town for the weekend I am looking for something to do. The 1 friend in town works on saturdays, but when he gets off he says he is going to an oktober fest party and invites me along. I jump at the chance.
Through some slight miscomunication I am on the way to the party when I realize it isn't an Oktoberfest as much as it is just a party at some guy's house that he throws every year for oktoberfest. This brightens me up because it means I don't have to pay to get in, or buy beer, or deal with a big ol' crowd and public drunks.
The guy throwing the party went to high school with my friend's fiance, so I will know exactly 3 people at the party. As you will see, that doesn't stop me in the least and with the help of alchohol, my inhibitions and judgement are non-existant. I will let
Scott, a guy I met at the party tell the story through his blog on myspace.

The following is an excert from
Scott's blog:


Quote:
Move over Flaming Moe's behold the Flaming Marshmallow!
Current mood: amused
Category: Food and Restaurants

Oh yes, I am currently recovering from an Oktoberfest Party that my old high school friend Jeff threw last night. He has a fire pit at his house needless to say you know the dangers of fire and alcohol!! While sitting around the fire and having a few beers and bratwursts the question of the availability of marshmallows arrived. Jeff being a bachelor had some but likely they were purchased in 2004-2005 time frame. Realizing that we have discovered a new material to re-tile the space shuttle with these marshmallows, again beers, engineers and fire (beware, experiments will commence). To soften these lightweight briquettes we figured on soaking them in a mixture of 2 parts vodka and 1 part rum and Wow! You definitely have something special here, marshmallow shots! Even better roast these marshmallow and you have the Flaming Marshmallow, that's right in the same spirit as the Friend's invented game of Fireball! Ironically the best part about it all was the mixture that you soak them in the marshmallows slightly dissolve in the alcohol mixture and actually makes vodka and rum go down more smoothly, enough to sip! If you gulp the following results below. And yes this is footage from the party! I would like to thank Curtis for being the stuntman for this trick!




BTW, there were 2 chemical engineers, and aerospace engineer, and aspiring electrical engineer (me) and a professional councelor (as in someone who should know better) involved in that whole fiasco.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Your wife shouldn't leave you unsupervised.